Students from member countries of the European Union may work in France without restriction after they graduate. Here are the options open to students from other parts of the world.

International students who have earned a degree equivalent to a master's or higher

Students who hold a master's degree or the equivalent may apply for a temporary, non-renewable residency permit valid for 6 months following the expiration of the student residency permit. 

The 6-month permit allows you to work at a job of your choice at up to 60% percent of full employment. 

If you obtain an employment contract related to your educational program and providing remuneration of at least 150% of the SMIC, you are then authorized to work full-time and must submit a request for change of status (from student to employee) at the prefecture with jurisdiction over your place of residence. 

Other students

After graduation, you may receive and accept an offer of employment, even if you are not a citizen of an EU member country. 

You will have to submit a request to have your status changed from student to employee following a special procedure. Among other things, you will have to present an employment contract or an offer of employment from a French firm. 

In adjudicating your application, the government will assess a number of factors, including the motives of the hiring firm, your background, and the duration of your studies in France. 

The "Compétence et talent" permit

The purpose of the "skills and talents" permit (3 years, renewable) is to facilitate the entry into France of foreigners who are likely to contribute in a significant and sustained way to the economic development or intellectual, scientific, cultural, humanitarian, or athletic advancement of France or their country of origin. 

The permit is granted in view of the content, nature, and interest of the applicant's plans. Holders of the permit may engage in any form of professional activity that is consistent with the plans stated in the application.